Gunmen Invade Oyo Schools, Kill Teacher, Abduct Pupils As Panic Grips Communities

Fear and anxiety have enveloped parts of Oyo State following an attack by suspected terrorists on two schools in Ahoro-Esinele community, Oriire Local Government Area, where a teacher was killed and several pupils abducted.

The affected schools, LA School, Ahoro-Esinele, and Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele, came under attack on Friday, throwing residents and parents into panic as security operatives launched rescue efforts.

Confirming the incident in Ibadan, the Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board (OYOSUBEB) said the exact number of abducted pupils had yet to be determined as security agencies were still combing the area.

Chairman of the board, Dr. Nureni Aderemi Adeniran, described the incident as “a dark and painful moment” for the state’s education sector.

“The Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board expresses profound sorrow and deep concern over the unfortunate attack on LA School and Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele, which resulted in the killing of a teacher and the kidnapping of some pupils,” he said.

“This is a dark and painful moment for our education family in Oyo State, and our hearts are with the affected parents, teachers and the entire community.”

Adeniran assured residents that security agencies had taken control of the situation, noting that tactical teams had already been deployed to rescue the victims and restore calm in the area.

According to him, the operation is being coordinated directly by the Commissioner of Police in the state.

“We want to assure our parents and stakeholders that the safety of our children remains our utmost priority,” he stated.

“A tactical response team has been deployed, and all necessary intelligence and operational measures are ongoing to ensure the safe rescue of the pupils and to restore peace to the community.”

In response to the attack, the board directed all primary schools in neighbouring local government areas, including Surulere, Oyo East, Oriire and Olorunsogo, to vacate immediately until further notice.

Adeniran explained that the temporary closure was aimed at preventing further attacks and enabling security agencies to stabilise the affected communities.

He appealed to parents and community leaders to remain calm and avoid spreading unverified information capable of worsening tension.

“We understand your fears, but we want to reassure you that your children will not be abandoned, and this government will not rest until every child is safely returned,” he added.

The board also mourned the slain teacher, describing his death as a painful loss to the education sector.

“His service, dedication and sacrifice will never be forgotten,” Adeniran said.

The attack adds to growing concerns over insecurity and repeated attacks on schools and communities across parts of the country.

45 Views

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Translate »